disParity » General Discussion

Thank you Roland!!!

(2 posts)

Tags:

1. PCWiz

I would like to share my successful recovery story and thank Roland for his amazing application. I’m not going to go in to all the details of what actually happened so here is the short version.
    I recently build a new File Server and moved all my data to it. Created a snapshot using disParity and later decided to balance my data across all the drives. In the process of moving some of the data to one new drive and some to the rest of the storage poll (poll that already was protected by disParity) the new drive decided to die on me. At that point it already had over 160GB of my data on it. I could not do a recover (so I thought at the time) since a lot (900GB) of data was moved all over the place by now. So I decided the undelete (using various tools) the data the was now missing. Not sure why but all the tools I tried could not undelete files over 2GB in size. After almost losing any hope of recovering my data I had an Idea, if I look through the log files and find where the data use to be I might be able to put it back in place in order to run undelete using disParity. Luck was on my side as data that was now lost came from only one drive and all the rest of the required files were there just not in the right place. After a few hours of comparing the logs and moving data back to its place I run undelete in disParity and guess what all my lost data is back where it was.

Thank you very much Roland!!!

In case anyone is interested, here are some specs of my File Server:

Case: Norco RPC-4224 x1
    Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X8SIL-F x1
    RAM: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) KVR1333D3E9SK2 x2
    CPU: Intel Xeon X3460 Lynnfield 2.8GHz x1
    SAS cables: NORCO C-SFF8087-D SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 x6
    Power Cable: NORCO C-P1T7 4Pin Molex 1 Male to 7 Female Power Extension x1
    PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W x1
    OS HDD: WD Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB x1
    SAS Controller: Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 Marvell 6480 x3
    Drive Rack: VIZO ARS-260CI 2.5" SATA Drive Rack x1

Thanks,
    PCWiz

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. Roland
    Roland

Great story! You are the 3rd or 4th person now to report a successful recover from a genuine drive failure using disParity.

Good thinking about moving the files back to where they were at the time of the last update. If everything is back to where it was, I definitely would expect disParity to be able to recover your lost files without any issues.

Posted 5 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.