disParity » General Discussion

Long file names in log?

(4 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by SavageGizmo
  • Latest reply from adamenko
  1. SavageGizmo

Just completed my first update of all the drives in my server (paired with the Drive Pool add in from Stablebit). I know there's some file names which should have hit the 260 character limit but they're not recorded in the log? When these files with long file names are skipped are they removed / excluded from the log or am I missing something? Would like to find out which files are being skipped and see if I can reduce the file name length...

Cheers

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. Roland
    Roland

Yes if disParity skips any files or folders because the names are too long you should definitely see something in the log, like this:

Warning: skipping folder "D:\foo\really\really\long\path\name\here" because the path is too long.

or

Warning: skipping file "D:\foo\really\really\long\path\name\here\movie.avi" because the path is too long.

If you don't see this, it never encountered any files or folders with long path names during the initial scan (note, these errors will be logged during the scan portion, not the update portion.) If these files and folders definitely exist, is it possible they are under a higher level folder that is marked hidden? disParity skips hidden files and folders by default. You can change this behavior under the Options.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. SavageGizmo

Aha! I was looking at the log file after the update, not after a scan which is why I didn't see the "skipping file" warning. Cheers Roland!

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. adamenko

Long Path Tool could help you out in these circumstances.

Posted 1 year ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.