disParity » Announcements

Version 0.31 beta available

(8 posts)
  1. Roland
    Roland

Changes in this update are listed in the release notes.

I strongly encourage all beta users to update to 0.31 as soon as possible. Several critical bugs have been fixed.

Please visit the beta page to download version 0.31.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. cybrsage

Can you pop onto this thread and explain how disParity does its stuff?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1434076/disparty-another-raid4-tool

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. Roland
    Roland

I scanned the thread on that page, and I'm not sure there is much I can add to what has already been said there. disParity operates using well known principles, similar to or the same as many other backup apps including unRAID and FlexRAID.

I'm not familiar with how SnapRAID works (I've never used it or looked at the code), but from the posts made there by jim2100, it sounds like SnapRAID is more advanced than disParity in that it makes use of some of the extra redundancy principles of RAID6. Specifically, it can calculate a second set of parity using a different algorithm and store that on a second parity drive. This provides the extra levels of protection that he mentions, like still being able to do a full disk recovery even if files have been deleted since the last sync, or being able to recover even if two drives have failed. It's a superior solution in terms of redundancy but also a lot more complex, plus it requires an extra drive.

In my opinion, the extra protection offered by RAID6 is not as critical for a software snapshot solution like disParity as it is for hardware RAID. It's critical for hardware RAID arrays because of the possibility of losing the entire array (all data on all drives) if two drives fail at the same time. With software solutions like disParity, which don't stripe the data, the most you can ever lose are the # of drives that actually failed.

Still, if you really need that extra level of protection and have two extra drives to dedicate to parity alone, by all means give SnapRAID a try! It sounds like a good piece of software.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. cybrsage

I don't need it and don't really see the need for it. I used snapraid in the past but it is command line only and while I am a proponent of command line for programming routers, I do not like it for my windows applications. Too easy to mess up with a simple fat finger and I destroy my data.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. cybrsage

I deleted my parity info and reran it using the new 0.31 version, then ran the verify and I am getting tons of errors. The parity was run last night and the check this morning, no changes done between them.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. Roland
    Roland

Hmm, that's definitely not good. I tried the same thing here with my test array, and I can't get the same problem to appear. Verify passes with no errors.

When you run the verify, does it start finding errors immediately, or does it take a while?

Can you email me the log file? It should be here:

C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\disParity\logs\disParity.log

Thanks.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. cybrsage

Email sent. It does not take long to start showing errors.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. Roland
    Roland

Bug found and fixed in 0.32. Fortunately the bug was in the verify process, not the backup.

Posted 2 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.