disParity » General Discussion

SHOW ALL DRIVES AS ONE! SUCCESS!

(28 posts)
  1. Klaatou

hello,
    I had to "rebuild" Drive Bender pool from disks with its directories organisation wich were not reconized and I succeded this way :
    on the disks Drive Bender doesn't had automaticaly to the pool move all files in the {Disk letter}:\{106DF1D2-3563-4E6B-9065-8508EB9D6677} (for example) directory to the drive root, delete all drive bender files and other directories and then add the disk to the pool as if it were another one with datas to merge.

I did it also several times as I had Drive Bender crashing adding some disks with recursives ntfs links ... the disks then staid with drive bender directories but not in the pool.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. rust0r

Klaatou, that is unfortunate it wouldn't work for your situation, have you tried Link Shell Extensions for linking? As far as I know, what you want to do, ie: e:\Bluray and f:\Bluray mapped to z:\Bluray will not work unfortunately. I had mine mapped within a main bluray drive and sorted my physical drives based on Bluray A-E, Bluray F-M, etc for organization

Cool1Net6: Thanks for the reply, that's an interesting question/scenario. Back when I first found Drive Bender, I played around with it for a week or so to ensure it would work with Disparity and rebuilds, etc. At that time I was sure all would be fine, 6 months down the road now, I haven't had to manage anythiing related to drives/space/rebuilds so I am not able to easily recall what I came to decide if I ever had to do a rebuild.

Quickly looking at Drive Bender, I believe the plan was to, in this order (we will say E: is the failing/failed drive)

1. Physically install new drive (format and assign new drive letter, even if only temporary until you remove the old letter)

2. Load drive bender manager

3. Select Drives Dashboard on the left

4. Select E: and say "Swap with new drive"

5. Point it to the new/fresh drive

6. Drive bender will try to do whatever it can to copy/move data from the failing drive to the new drive, whether or not it fails to do so we really don't care about as we will be doing a rebuild with disparity

7. Once drive bender is finished, go to disparity and do a rebuild of the failed drive, onto the new drive, just as you would if you weren't running drive bender.

Since you "Swapped" out the drive in Drive Bender, all Pool/storage info (ie: E:\{106DF1D2-3563-4E6B-9065-8508EB9D6677} ) should remain the same for drive bender purposes. Once you run a disparity rebuild on the drive, it will rebuild that drive with the unique code drive bender used, and all files below that structure. We don't want drive bender to do anything with the drive except allow us to replace the failing drive in the "pool" with the new fresh drive, all data rebuilding will be handled by disparity.

In the very worst case, you could "Remove Drive" from the pool, do a rebuild using disparity and then freshly merge it into the pool as if it were a completely new drive as you do each time you have a new drive to add (you might have to move the data from the old E:\{code}\<files> to the new e:\{code} section based on whatever drive bender assigns to keep things straight but that's simple enough

Again, this is just going from what I vaguely recall from 6 months ago and taking a look at options now as to what I would do if faced with a failing drive.

If you wouldn't mind looking at my steps and checking it against your drive bender/disparity setup and seeing if you agree/disagree based on your recent messing around with it, since you will have a fresher idea of it than I do at this point. I believe that should work but I definitely would appreciate your input/feedback.

Thank you all for contributing! I love this!

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. Cool1Net6

To be honest, I don't particularly like the way Drive Bender works. The whole program seems overly complicated for what it does. I find StableBit DrivePool much simpler, and generates a smaller amount of associated files and folders on each drive.

Nevertheless, I started from scratch to try and follow your steps. I did the following:

A. Created 4 drives (1, 2, 3, 4) and added them to the Drive Bender pool. No duplication.
    B. Added a random collection of files (documents, music, video) to the pool.
    C. Ran disParity using a 5th parity drive (P) to protect the data.
    D. Check all the drives to see which drive had which files.
    E. Shut down, then simulated a drive failure by removing drive 1.
    F. Followed your steps.

On step 6, Drive Bender completely dies. I removed a drive and it instantly killed the pool by replacing it with a single file that said "No Drives Attached To The Pool". When I go to the Pool Dashboard, the status is in "Fault Tolerant Mode". When I go to the Drives Dashboard, it says drive 1 is offline. I followed the steps to swap in a drive and Drive Bender errors with this message"

"A drive within the pool is in an invalid state. Please correct the pool before adding a new hard drive."

So because a drive is missing, I am unable to swap out the missing drive, which makes no sense. I went back and removed drive 2 instead of drive 1; Drive Bender kept the pool up, but still refused to swap the missing drive.

You are correct, however, that in the very worst case, you can just perform a disParity rebuild of the missing drive, destroy the current Drive Bender pool, then just recreate it and add all the files from each drive back into the pool with a MOVE. This would change the contents of all the drives and the parity would need to be recreated from scratch. No loss of data, but not exactly "the drive just comes back" as was expected.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. Klaatou

Yes rust0r I have Link Shell Extensions for linking (much better then command lines ;) but I have no benefits to use it comparing on a simple mounting point on a directory for each of my drives as I do for now.

I have tested again Liquesce to have my drives on a single pool on my last installation on windows 8 .
    ("we" talked about it here http://www.vilett.com/disParity/forum/topic.php?id=59 and the website is here http://liquesce.codeplex.com/ )

Only a little stop on the Dokan driver installation to make it on compatibility mode and it is OK for the pool.
    Of course the writing of files is also balancing on random (?) disk but it is ok as I plan to manage it myself on each drives.
    Now I want to share it on my network, sharing in windows properties of the pool is ok, giving differents rights to users too.
    BUT, on another computer, even if I see the shared drive I never get granted to use it, some sort of rights problem I guess ....

I tried to cheat creating a junction ntfs link on an already shared directory on another disk and the sharing is OK and the pool is seeing on the network as this link.

I thought I won. BUT, strangely, some directories on the pool are NOT available on the network, for now I have no clue, it is not the longer ones, not with "french" characters, not the biggest, not on a specific disk ...

Anyone can help ?

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. Klaatou

I think I found the answer in the Liquesce forum "Number of Folders not showing up over a share" ( http://liquesce.codeplex.com/workitem/10574 ) and it is the reason why sharing is not supported now .... I hope to see an update comming.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. rust0r

Cool1Net6: Sorry for the late reply, I actually had a drive fail last week and have been waiting on an RMA replacement before messing with anything. I followed the steps I had posted EXACTLY using my real system (22+TB of usable space :S)

I had a drive fail, completely drop from my system so I was left with little option as to the following:

1. Drive Bender showed it as being 'offline' and put my system into ' fault tolerant mode ' as you described

2. I left everything as it was as to not alter parity/drive contents at this point

3. I physically removed the old drive and replaced it with the new drive

4. I went onto drive bender, it was showing offline, I selected 'remove this drive', it told me that it might take awhile and had to migrate data, etc. I said OK to all, after about 30 seconds and 4 automated steps (since there was no data on the drive, even if it was somehow looking at the new empty one since it shared the same drive letter at the old) it was complete and it reduced my pool size by 1.81GB (2 tb formated)

5. At this point, I did a disparity rebuild on the new drive. Once complete, I had the old Drive Bender structure on it, the {87e9z7a69472a} folder. I moved all of my data off the room of t he drive, deleted the left over drive bender directory and will now move it back into the pool as I would a new drive.

I didn't care too mess too much with "swapping it" and having it migrate all my data on it's own, I want it to do as little of the as possible to be honest. Using my method I will have to re-create parity, or either do a mass delete/addition for that entire 2 tb drive but I feel a little more confident in that as opposed to allowing DB to mess about trying to put the structure back (Keep in mind you can't manually manage the drive once it has been added to the pool).

I don't know why DB crashed on you when you tried to remove the drive, I do know I've seen Neostim's system and Drive Bender has acted funny in the past, but it has worked flawless on mine. I'm not sure if it has some driver/software issues depending on the system, I've yet to experience any so I really can't say.

Let me know if you have any questions on this please, it's an interesting program for sure.

Klaatou: I'm glad you may have found a solution, hopefully they can release an update for that and you can continue with your setup :D

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. rust0r

UPDATE: Actually one thing I just noticed, and I'm not sure why at this point though I suspect it is simply because I removed a drive, merged new data in using the same drive letter.

After merging the new drive into the pool, I had figured my folder structure would be different, however if you look at each of your drives, you will notice that each of your base folder names off the root of the drive (ie: e:\{4727AEBA-C2F0-47DF-B94C-6D3C5BAD362E}) is the SAME across all drives, the unique identifier for the drive as far as Drive Bender is concerned is 1 file off the root.

This is actually a great thing because with what I just experienced, I was able to completely go through a physical drive failure, remove the drive from Drive Bender, use disparity rebuild (move the data to the root of the drive before merging it back in) and my parity data is 100% correct. Very neat!

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. rust0r

UPDATE: It's been over a year now and I just had to search google to find my instructions on adding a new drive because I couldn't remember which option I selected for drive bender.

Just wanted to let everyone know I've gone through several drive rebuilds using this setup and they've worked flawlessly.

Thanks again Roland!

Posted 1 year ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.